Emergency Procedures

What is an emergency?

  • Burst water service
  • Broken hot water service
  • Sewerage blockage
  • Serious roof leak
  • Gas leak
  • Electrical fault causing damage or endangering lives
  • Flooding
  • Fault in a lift (for apartment buildings)
  • Damage caused by flood, fire or storm

Trades people are to be contacted in an EMERGENCY ONLY. Should the matter not be considered an emergency; the tenant shall be responsible for payment of the account.

Before contacting a trades person be sure to check the following:

No Electricity

  1. Check if neighbours have power as it may be that the whole suburb has loss of power. You can contact Western Power on 13 13 51 or check their website http://www.westernpower.com.au to confirm this.
  2. Check that payment of your electricity account is not overdue.
  3. Check RCD Switches in your meter box to see if they have been triggered. If the RCD has flicked to the off position, you may have a faulty appliance. You will need to unplug all appliances, turn the switch back on and then plug them all back in one by one to see if they trigger the switch to go off again. The appliance that flicks the RCD needs to be left off.

Please Note: If electrician is called out and reports that the cause of the RCD switch being triggered is due to a tenant’s faulty appliance, the tenant will be liable to pay the cost of this callout. If a property appliance is faulty e.g. the oven, hot water system, air conditioner. The owner will be liable to pay the cost of this repair.

Broken Pipe or Water Meter

  1. If you have no water, check to see if neighbours have the same problem, as there may be maintenance being carried out in your area. You can call the Water Corporation on 13 13 75 or check their website http://www.watercorporation.com.au to confirm this.
  2. If water is gushing from a pipe and it is between the water meter at the front of the property and the rear fence, turn your water off at the mains. Call a plumber to arrange repairs.
  3. If the leak is between the water meter and the road, you will need to call the Water Corporation emergency number – 13 13 75 to arrange urgent repairs.
  4. You will be able turn the meter on and off at the mains, as you require water until it can be repaired.
  5. Any excessive water accounts due to tenant’s not reporting maintenance will need to be paid in full by the tenant.

Burst Gas Pipe or No Gas

  1. Please check with neighbours to see if they have a gas connection, as repairs may be being carried out in your area. Phone Alinta Gas on 13 13 52 to confirm this.
  2. Check that your account is not overdue.
  3. Turn the gas off in the main meter box usually located on the wall at the front of the house.
  4. Call plumber to seek advice on how to best handle the leak.

No Hot Water

  1. Check that the flame on any gas hot water system has not blown out due to heavy winds etc. It is the tenant’s responsibility to relight the pilot light should it be blown out.
  2. If hot water system is leaking you must turn the water off. There is usually a water isolation valve located next to or close by the hot water system.
  3. Call a plumber to help resolve the problem.

Locked out of House

  1. If during office hours; call your property manager on 9251 6688, you may come to our office and borrow the office set of keys to let yourself back into your house. (A $150 bond is required) These keys must be returned by the end of the day.
  2. If locked out after hours or on the weekend you will need to call a Locksmith to let you back into the property. Please Note: The tenant is responsible for this cost. We would advise that tenants arrange to give a spare key to a reliable family member or friend to avoid this happening as the use of a Locksmith can be very expensive.

Storm Damage or Flooding

  • Contact the State Emergency Service on 132 500 for urgent assistance


  • Call Fire Brigade – 000

Break In

  1. Report to police on 131 444 and obtain a police report number.
  2. Contact required services to get the property secured until you can contact your Property Manager on the next business day.

Broken Glass

  1. Should the broken glass be an emergency, (e.g. It is a danger to leave it until Monday) Ring emergency glass repairer and get glass repaired.
  2. If the breakage is due to a break in ensure that the matter is reported to the police on 131 444 and a police report number is obtained.

Recommended Trades


  • Bara Electrical – George 0408 950 338
  • GXR Plumbing & Gas  – Gerard 0437 800 192
  • Prompt Glass – 9330 5555
  • Amco Locksmiths – 9444 2089

Northern Suburbs (Joondalup, Eglinton region)

  • Bara Electrical – George 0408 950 338
  • On Tap Plumbing & Gas – 0438 882 249
  • Wanneroo Glass – 9309 1962
  • Evolution Lock Services – Karl 0423 372 098

Southern Suburbs (Mandurah/Pinjarra Region)

  • Bara Electrical – George 0408 950 338
  • On Tap Plumbing & Gas – 0438 882 249
  • Peel Glass & Glazing – Kevin 0475 215 666
  • A1 Locksmiths – 9370 2943

fake rolex